This morning, I’m sipping coffee with a friend.
Laurie is a wife, mother, life coach, and veteran homeschooling mama!
I met Laurie through my work with The SITS Girls as a Community Lead and I am so grateful for the connection!
Laurie has become someone I consider to be a friend and I can’t wait for you to get to know her. She’s warm and caring and her comments often make my whole day.
She homeschooled all three of her kids from day one and her youngest is graduating this year! She’s give me hope.
Ask Away Friday is a fun little blog game. Laurie asked me 10 questions that I answered on her blog and vice versa.
This is what she wants to know about me…
1. As you know, I’m in my last year of homeschooling so I know how time consuming it can be, especially when you have younger kids. How do you manage it all; blog, school, home and everything else you do?
Ha! I don’t.
In fact, just last night I posted this on Facebook:
“I used to be so good at keeping my house clean! Then I started homeschooling. The end.”
That pretty much sums it up. Homeschooling takes the majority of my focus each day and every other category seems to get the leftovers.
Managing the blog has been tricky lately, and I’m learning how to narrow my focus and make the most of my time spent blogging/writing.
As for the home? My toilets always need to be scrubbed, dinner is never certain, and I have a perpetual load of clean laundry I move from the chair to the bed each morning and from the bed to the chair each night.
2. Have you always homeschooled your boys and do you plan to do so through high school?
No. In fact, my oldest went to public school through fourth grade. I do hope to homeschool both boys through high school. It’s a prayerful decision that’s revisited each year and as long as God has plans to keep me home, we’re going all the way!
3. Do you ever want to quit? I remember days when I would say. “Get your stuff together. You’re going to school…NOW!”
Um. Heck yeah!
Some days I worry I’m giving the boys everything they need. Other days they drive me crazy and I’m looking for the next bus to drive by so I can throw them on it.
It’s especially hard when your child has never been to public school. They don’t really appreciate the lifestyle because they don’t know any different.
In the end, I think every job has it’s pros and cons and homeschooling is no exception. There are good days and bad. The good always out weigh the bad!
4. What does life look like after your kids graduate? This is a bittersweet thing for me.
Ahhhh…after graduation. One can only dream…
Seriously, I will be throwing a massive party. For myself!
I’m looking forward to the years my husband and I get to spend together without the stress of parenting looming over us each day.
I want to travel. Maybe go back to work? And? I’d really like to go back to school. I know. I’m addicted to school.
5. Switching gears a little…why did you decide to start a blog and how long will you continue to blog?
Five years ago, I went online looking for a coupon and read a blog by one of those extreme couponers. I was totally unaware of the blogging world, but I was intrigued. A few clicks later I had one my own dot blogspot home and I loved it.
I started writing from the heart, and the rest is history.
Blogging ignited my passion for writing and helped me find a voice I didn’t know I had. It’s been a source of encouragement and real friendships.
It’s been therapeutic.
It’s been wonderful.
I hope I never stop.
6. I think the name of your blog is so cute. How did you come up with that name?
Well, my first blog name was “Anything Mom”. Catchy, right? Kidding.
Then, I changed it to “Stories from the Shoebox”. (I used to call our old home a shoe box, because it was so tiny.) I didn’t put much thought into that name either.
When I jumped the Blogger train and moved to wordpress, I wanted a brand. I brainstormed for a very long time and landed at “The Mommy Mess”.
The title is a reflection of what I like to write about most-the messy side of motherhood.
7. You were a community lead at The SITS Girls for quite awhile (up until very recently). Where else do you write?
Sigh…stepping down as a Community Lead was a bittersweet good-bye. I was a CL for over two years. I love SITS! And I loved being a CL even more, but every good thing must come to an end. It was time to move on.
I’m at a point on this blogging journey where I need to narrow my focus and trim down anything that no longer fits the direction I feel I’m being pulled.
One of things I hope to accomplish soon is finding a regular freelance gig! Of course, I’m waiting for one to fall in my lap as I continue to fear rejection. I’m not sure that’s a good working plan, but I’ll keep you posted.
Just recently I joined the team of fabulous contributors at Homeschool Blogging! I write there once a once about, well…homeschool and blogging.
It’s time to add to my resume!
8. Last blog-related question, where do you get your inspiration for posts?
That’s easy. I love to write about the stuff I feel like people are afraid to say. My favorite posts are the ones where I’ve poured my heart and soul into them and hit publish with sweaty palms. It never fails that the posts I’m afraid to publish are the posts that readers relate to most.
Most of my inspiration comes from being honest about my own struggles. After that, every day life of raising boys, being a mother, and homeschooling supply ample inspiration!
9. Someone gives you an all expenses paid one week trip. Where would you go and who’s going with you?
Europe! My husband and kids.
10. If you could choose to live anywhere in the US where would it be? Why?
I’d live anywhere that’s near the ocean. East coast, west cost. I don’t care. I just need clean salt air and water to survive. I could never be land locked. I’d cry. Every day.
Want to know what I asked her? Go read her answers!
You might like these too...
Latest posts by Adrienne (see all)
- I Survived My First Homeschool Convention: Highlights and Link Love - May 27, 2015
- How to Motivate Your Kids To Learn This Summer With a $10,000 Scavenger Hunt! - May 8, 2015
- Why I Love Homeschooling High School - May 4, 2015
- Get Ready For Summer Giveaway! - April 20, 2015
- Do I Really Know What It Means to Follow Jesus? - April 13, 2015